Monday, December 24, 2012

Week in Review

So....this week started off well, but had an emotional slide towards the end. Not sure if there's anything specific to attribute it to, other than general malaise and excessive expectations. Physically I felt fine, so it's pretty clear that it was all in my head. Working toward big goals is beneficial for motivation but it can also lead to troublesome expectations.

Fortunately, I've been doing this long enough to know that I just need to get back on the mat. There are peaks and valleys, as with any extensive endeavor in which you've invested time and emotion. My expectations have probably be surging ahead of reality b/c of the Pan Ams and b/c I've doubled my training over the past month and a half. I expect that with twice the training time I'd be getting better twice as fast, but a month and a half isn't that long. Also, the guys I'm training with are also improving along that time-frame, so it's difficult to judge progress (a constant issue in BJJ among many long-time practitioners). The holidays came at a good time, as having three days off now is probably exactly what I need to get some perspective.

One of the most important tips I got of out of this week was to not expose my back to my opponent. It's a basic principle of jiu-jitsu, but sometimes you get so focused on the details and minutiae that the fundamentals suffer. On the rare occasions when I do have top position, I need to make a concerted effort to ensure I am eliminating space. When passing, I need to have my hips facing my opponent as much as possible. I noticed frequently when I'm in bottom side that I'm turning my back, which is a big no-no. The only reason I've been able to get away with this is that the guys haven't capitalized, but I cannot get into that habit. Ditto for bottom mount. I need to work escapes like knee-to-elbow while keeping my back close to the mat (instead of rolling up on my side).

Happy Holidays!

No comments: