Friday, December 21, 2012

Sweeps

12/21 - Downtown

We worked sweeps, but I honestly couldn't recall one of the techniques. They were fairly advanced in that they started from DLR or something similar. One of them I really struggled with and never got quite right. I was happy to take them in for today, but not something I'm going to try to incorporate in my game for awhile.

Rolled with Antone, Wayne, Jayson, James and Dennis. Felt like a n00b for the vast majority of the time. I literally gave Dennis my foot three times to get ankle-locked. All in a row. Seriously. I have no idea what was wrong with my brain today, but it was not functioning. I do feel like I'm improving in my rolls with Antone. I tried (briefly) to not end up in bottom side or mount of Jayson but that didn't last too long.

In  my roll with James, he said that during my passes and when I'm on the bottom I have a habit of turning my back. Very much not ok. I find especially when I'm in the midst of a pass that I compensate my weight distribution by kicking out to one side instead of crowding my opponent. Along with doing that, I'm turning away from my opponent. Need to make an effort to stop doing that. Ditto for when I'm in bottom side or bottom mount. I need to get away from the idea that being on my side is better than facing my opponent. I can be working to get my knee and elbow together without giving up my back.

Worked with the team to move the gym to a new location. Very excited!

No comments: