Monday, December 3, 2012

Week in Review

Hopefully I'll remember to take a holistic look at each week and suss out the bigger picture.

I attended 4 classes, which met my goal. However, I feel like I should do more. Even if both gyms happen to be focusing on the same technique during a given week, the approach is generally different and it's difficult to become proficient at something if you are learning it two different ways. It's good to have options, but I wonder if this is going to create a conflict when I'm set up for a position and wonder if I need to use style A or style B?

I don't think I've ever incorporated KOB during a roll, mostly b/c I'm never on top. I should make it a point to keep it in mind on the rare occasions when I have top position. I never think of using it, primarily b/c I feel like I have less control than mount. However, done correctly I think I'd be much better off with that than my sad side-control.

I made some dumb mistakes during rolling on Saturday, leaving arms waving out, begging to arm-bar'd. Overall though, I think I survived better this week when rolling against upper belts. I gritted out at least two subs, and I'm growing more used to some of the more common techniques used at the new gym. It seems like I get locked into a hellacious body triangle at least once a week.

James' advice on Saturday to not give up when put into inferior positions felt like a cartoon light-bulb moment. As obvious as the idea is, sometimes you need to be reminded of the obvious, especially those that are difficult to put into practice. There's a fine line there between spazzing and trying to defend being put into a bad positions. Makes me think that it would be really good for me to learn and focus on the basic defensive tactics to prevent being put into bad positions. Sad that I don't really know what those are, even with ~3yrs of training under my belt. Sigh. I know how to defend fairly well once I'm already in the position, but not so much with the transition. At the very least, I'll work on hip movement and see where that gets me.

No comments: