Saturday, December 8, 2012

Guard Passes

12/8 - Downtown

Small Saturday group, five plus James. Worked on seated guard passes. Pretty sure I've already forgotten some of the details.

1. Spider Guard Pass - Opponent has control of both biceps. Get a grip on both legs at the bottom of their pants. Step back, bring elbows together to bring their legs together, then step into them and aggressively hip forward into the backs of their legs. This should pop their feet off of you. I'm drawing a complete blank...not sure what we did after this. Yikes.

2. Butterfly Guard Pass - This might be more of a seated guard pass, but I think it works from butterfly guard too. Really sketchy on the details today. Not enough food I think. Get an underhook on the right side (opponent's left) and reach across opponent's back to their right lat. With left hand, grip their gi at the right knee and push down. Fall to your right, popping your right leg free. Keep cross-face control as you free your left leg.

I'm really sketch on the details today.

3. Seated Guard Pass - Right knee way up on their right thigh. Knee should be pointed toward their stomach. Push down on the right knee with your left hand (pushing down, not gripping the gi) and their left hip with your right hand. Sprawl back, keeping your hands in place, and pass to the left (opponent's right). If they are framing against you to defend the pass, move back toward their hips, stuff their leg behind you and take side-control lower down on their body.

I'm really frustrated because we did an Ezekiel type choke but I can't remember the initial part of the set-up. The part I remember is that your opponent is turning into you. Slide arm under their head with your right arm, grip left sleeve with right hand, bring left hand up and make a fist. With right arm, shrug it up, bringing their arm close to their head. It's kind of a cross between a d'arce and Ezekiel.

Ugh, I really don't remember much. I was afraid of that. I even took some notes after class but only one a couple of moves and not all the way through. It was hazy even then.

Rolled with everyone (James, Saul, Antone, Colt and Wayne). I kept leaving arms out for Antone, dumb. I think that I legitimately gained side-control on Wayne. Gratifying to get a top position. Escaped several arm-bars today, focused on not letting them get their leg over my head. Aside from side-control on Wayne, didn't have much in the way of dominant position or threatening submission.

No comments: