Friday, December 28, 2012

Spider Guard

12/28 - Downtown

Had a guest instructor go over spider guard. Some of it felt very boss, and some of it felt very awkward and I never quite felt like I got it. Got a couple of good tips during the rolls, including a triangle that 'Nando was telling me about earlier in the week. It's a good thing I take notes immediately after class, b/c even as I was sitting on the mat cooling down, I had a difficult time remembering the techniques. Mind like a steel trap.

He had us do yoga stretches as part of a cool down after the rolls which felt awesome. He's doing a 2hr seminar tomorrow with more spider guard work. This is in addition to the normal hour and a half Saturday class. I'm going to be wiped tomorrow night. Perfect way to start a four day weekend.

General spider guard tips:
  • Always keep tension by pushing with feet and pulling hands. Do not allow slack.
  • When putting a foot on their bicep, don't put it on the meat of the muscle, but aim more for the crease of the elbow.
1. Spider Guard to Triangle:  L foot on their R hip, R foot on their L bicep (elbow). Sleeve grips with both hands. Shoot hips straight up and drive their R arm down with your L hand. Slide R foot off of their bicep and curl around the back of their neck. Hip to the L so that you get perpendicular to them and are looking into their L ear. Lock up triangle. I love this one more than cake.

2. Spider Guard Sweep w/ Lasso (Opponent is seated in your guard): From feet on hips and both sleeves controlled, slide R leg to the outside of their L forearm and then inside their bicep and under their armpit (lasso). Bring L knee across their hips (pointing to your L I think), grip the fabric of their pants on the outside of their R knee and get on your L shoulder like you're going to take them to your L. When they push back into you to get you back on your back (to your R), pull them onto you and over to your R side. You should land with a possible bicep cutter and/or KOB.

3. Spider Guard Sweep w/ Lasso (Opponent stands): Obtain lasso (#2). If opponent stands, break their grip on your L knee if they have it (tuck L forearm behind their wrist and kick forward w/ your L leg). Bring your R foot around the outside of their L leg and hook under their thigh. Grip the hem of their pants on R leg, L foot on their R hip and bring them into you and over to your R side. You should end up either in mount or side-control. My transition out of this one was a little weird each time. You should try to stay squared up to them as much as possible. This position becomes pretty uncomfortable for the opponent.

We did another technique that ended in an arm-bar that I didn't get at all. Way too many moving pieces for me to comprehend.

Positional Sparring: Two 5min rounds of spider guard pass/sweep. James M. gave me a good tip...if I am trying to do a standing pass and am pushing down on their knees/legs, I need to get my inside knee next to theirs to prevent them from re-guarding. For example, I'm standing and have a grips on their legs and am pushing them to floor and attempting to pass to the L. As I'm clearing their legs, I need to get my R knee next to their R knee and push in.

Rolled with 'Nando and Antone. Antone got me a couple of times. I really focused on facing my opponent as much as possible and scrambling. Felt better with my scrambles today, although in the earlier positional sparring I was getting a little tired.

Notes:
  • I'm leaving my neck exposed when mounted (i.e. head tipped back). Don't do that. Tuck the chin. So basic!
  • If I have someone in my half guard but my back is well off the mat, look to take their back by controlling the sleeve that is closest to my body and scooting behind them.
  • If trouble locking in a triangle, shoot a hand under your leg, grip their opposite side lapel as high as you can and straighten your legs and hip up a bit. More important to try to straighten legs than to hip up.



No comments: