Monday, December 17, 2012

Kneeling and Standing Guard Passing

12/17 - Downtown

Guard passes today, good stuff (as always). James got a nice cut on his forehead while rolling with one of the guys, looked like he'd been in a car wreck.

We started off with a DLR warm-up (spinning on your back between partner's legs). This was the second or third time that I've done it, and I finally didn't look like a complete idiot while I was doing it. Antone was my partner and went first, and when I was watching him I was trying to look at the big picture of what he was accomplishing instead of (R hand here, R leg through, L leg through.....). That approach seemed to work much better for me.

1. Kneeling guard pass - Closed guard
Grip their L lapel with your R hand and drive it into their L armpit. This is preferred to driving into their chest, as it's more difficult to get wrist-locked if you are off to the side of their chest. Posture up, get your thighs almost vertical while maintaining a good base. L hand to the inside of their knee and push down as you drop down. Thighs need to be vertical so you aren't trying to push their leg down into your own thigh. Once you break their guard, pass L knee over their thigh and bring your R foot to hook on the outside of their L shin. This should prevent them from moving into a deep half guard. Either step over, or slide other knee through to side control.

2. Standing guard pass
Grip their L lapel with your R hand, drive into them. L hand can come briefly onto their torso or the mat as you pop up on both legs simultaneously. Immediately shoot your L hand behind you and hook it behind their R leg and sweep it forward and to the R of you. Head should be up, good posture, and hips should be crowding them forward. Crowd, crowd, crowd! Drive into them with your hips (not your chest!). Should be dropping down and moving forward. Keep crowding down on them and pass to the side. I think you should have a hook under their L leg as you make the pass. Might be able to pin their L arm to the mat if you bring your R leg around in time.
Note: You need to keep your grip on their lapel until you are passing their leg in front of you, otherwise they will probably sweep you. It gives you a few seconds to pass their leg.

3. Defense if they sweep you from standing guard
So if you're attempting the above pass and they dump you, do not leave your arm fully extended on their chest, otherwise you'll get arm-bar'd. Bend your arm and slide your hand down their lapel to their stomach. Keep your elbow to the inside of their thigh and sneak your L leg out from under their R leg. Try to get your R leg up and get your elbow inside of that too. Push into their stomach, but do not extend as you move back and try to get a neutral position.

4. Arm-bar from back-mount (Julio)
Julio schooled me on this at the end of our roll. Swing R leg to the L side of their body, trap their R arm and armbar. So easy. I'm sure there's more to the set-up than that, but that's the best I could gather through his mouth guard.

We started our rolls off with the lower ranking belt taking the back of the higher ranked belt.

Rolled with Antone...I was doing a fairly good job of keeping my arms in and then he snaggled one towards the end of the roll and got me with some sort of choke. I had decent transitions with him today, tried to stay out of the worst trouble.

Julio made me work hard, especially in the beginning. Scrambled a bit, he had top position the entire time.

Manny was a good roll, he baited me to get my arm trapped and I obliged him. Dang it.

Got into a funky position with Matt where I almost took his back, but my foot was an inch too long to get in as a hook. We were suspended in the position for a bit (I was pretty much on my head) while he tried to fight off the hook and I kept fighting to get it in. He won and I think he ended up in side control.

Rolled with another guy who's name I don't know...we're both 1 stripe blues, and we seemed pretty evenly matched, although I think he had superior position for at least the first half of the roll. Toward the end I gained side-control, which always seems like a major victory to me.

No comments: