Monday, June 15, 2015

Weekend

Fundamentals on Saturday consisted of sweeping an opponent with both knees down. Hip-bump, scissor, flower and pendulum. Julio was in class, so that was something different to have a black belt attend. Felt very comfortable with teaching those techniques.

Rolled with Rachael for an 8min round between classes b/c she had to leave. I think it was a pretty evenly matched roll.

Noon class was drilling (if you wanted) or all rolling. I tried to drill a few things but was working with lower belts who weren't reacting quite the way that I needed. I did spend quite a bit of time helping them with some areas though so that was rewarding. Rolled for about a half hour with a variety of people. 

Sunday I tried drilling a Mendes Bros variation of the back-step from knee slice if your opponent has the underhook. If I can get set immediately it works great, but I was having issues back-stepping to the exact position I needed to be. I'll try fussing with it a bit more today.

Rolled with Kelly, Vaughn, Shaun and James. Got my ass pretty well kicked for the most part, but did have a legitimate sweep on James and almost got to the back. Just before that happened he had done a backstep pass and then sat on my chest instead of off to the side...and then BOUNCED up and down. I squawked my displeasure, but it was all in good fun. 

No comments: