Thursday, June 18, 2015

Wed Morn and Night

This was the best overall day of rolling I've had in awhile. Morning class we covered side control escapes, where I always learn something new. My bottom side control can't suck forever...right?

Huuuuuge morning class, so it was KOTH for rolling, win by sub, back or mount. Chris N., Joyce, white belt guy who's name I don't know, Joe and Russ. Best roll by far that I've had with Chris. It was a real battle, but I was determined to be on top the entire time. Not only was the strategy sound, but I was able to execute it. I don't remember how I won, but I did. 

Was a bit gassed after that roll as we had been going for awhile. Started from guard with Joyce, got a quick scissor sweep to mount.

Started working guard on white belt guy and got a relatively quick triangle/armbar. 

Was a little tired by the time I rolled with Joe, but that wasn't an excuse for getting in a bad spot early and getting choked by I don't remember what. I think I started the roll too passive.

On the wall until I hit Russ, who had been rolling the whole time. We had a spirited battle, and I came close on a belly down armbar. We were both really tired though, and had moments of regrouping where we both more or less completely disengaged during the roll to catch our breath. I eventually got to mount somehow. I wasn't happy with how tired I was, but otherwise pleased with my performance during the roll.

I waffled all afternoon about whether to do night class or not. I was bushed after morning class, as the gym was up to the mid-80s by the end. I convinced Rachael to do class, then I convinced her to take the night off, and then I decided that we should go. Of course, she's free to do whatever she wants, but she seems to prefer to go when I'm there.

Evening technique consisted of submissions from bottom half guard, namely a shoulder or armlock from 93 guard. 

Fewer people at night than morning, so regular rolling. Rachael, Manny, Jenny and Kasey. Rachael again after class.

Manny and Kasey had the better of it, but even so I recognize that I did a bit better than I usually do with them. Jenny and I had a fun roll, as she is great at elevating herself and damn near floating above you while you try to sweep her. I'm not sure how I got into it, but I do remember that I had a pretty sweet entry to an armbar.

Did fairly well against Rachael. Tried to bolo once or twice, and while I didn't get the back I got a sweep on one of them. Got a couple of passes and generally stayed off of bottom.

No comments: