Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Too Much of a Good Thing

9/4 - Downtown (Morning & Evening Class)

Looks like someone signed up in the weight class below me, so I'm guessing that we'll be paired up for a best two out of three match scenario. Very happy if this is the case, as I'll have someone roughly my experience level and size.

Thought that doing two classes today leading up to the tournament would be a good idea. Help get me in groove, pumped full of BJJ knowledge... The morning class went fine. Rolled against upper belts and even though I was getting crushed I fended off most if not all submissions. Our technique was basic half guard sweeps, nothing fancy.

The evening class was 2min of alternating drills between partners, with you choosing whatever you wanted to work on for the 2min. I liked this format as a change-up, and decided to go with an arm-bar from KOB and scisscor sweep. Basic stuff that I know but is good to brush up on before a tournament.

The rolls were another matter entirely. I went with a couple of white belts and a couple of purple belts. The white belts gave me fits, although I had a nice arm-bar locked up on one of them. The should have had a dominant position with the other one but I couldn't get there. The purple belts mauled me, although I was able to fend off many sub attempts (but not all). I rolled with one other blue belt, but he rolls very light with no strength and very little explosion (even though he is jacked and could mop up the floor with me if he wanted to). He let me get an arm-bar and work on positioning.

Overall I didn't feel like I had an opponent that was anywhere near comparable to the size/skill level I'll see at the tournament. This is a common frustration I have and I need to trust that if I have an opportunity to use my top game or guard game that it will be good enough.

No comments: