Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fixing Details

9/9 - Downtown

First class back, and we started off by rolling. I think we rolled for the first 45min or so, and then James tried to show us some technique. That's almost always a losing proposition, especially if it's something out of the ordinary like a calf slicer set up from a guard pass. The rolls went well, although Julio was pretty amped up from the tournament and knocked out my contact within seconds of our first roll.

My last roll was with James and was just plain fun. He helped me significantly in two areas that hurt me in the tournament. The first was my guard pull. If you're going to pull guard in every match, you should probably do it correctly. I wasn't doing it correctly, and my opponents were set up for their knee slide pass from the jump. I pussyfoot after I establish grips but before I pull, I don't keep my leg extended and I fall to the wrong side. So much fail. I didn't practice my guard at all beforehand, so yeah, lesson learned.

He also helped me with the knee slide pass. Don't let them get control of the elbow that is closest to the ground. First option is to get that elbow on the ground and use it as a brace to prevent their knee from coming through. If that fails, let their knee come over the top of your arm, then cup the top of their thigh from the inside and start walking your legs toward their legs. This should dump them down and result in a sweep. You can also create a scramble from this position by bringing your other knee up to their butt and then shrugging them off, but I wasn't too clear on that one.

A few more rolls at the end when James realized that the technique was a losing battle. :)


No comments: