Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Spiderguard Sweeps

9/18 - Downtown

I took yesterday as a rest day since the Valley doesn't have classes this week. Also, my body was displeased with life in general, so no lifting either. Instead, I spent part of the evening watching Buchecha and Rodolfo highlight videos. During one of them I saw the single leg X pass that Buchecha taught on Saturday. Those vids never, ever get old.

Today was a focus on spiderguard subs/sweeps on a kneeling opponent. I don't think I've seen any of them before, and they were relatively easy to execute.

Two rolls with Jay, one with Jason (b) and one with James. I was getting the better of Jay in the first roll by maintaining top position. He had the upper hand in our second roll and was in the midst of an arm-bar when time was up.

Jason pretty much pummeled me and got an arm-bar midway through. I tried to keep him at bay with an open guard but to no avail. The second he gets a grip on my legs I'm cooked.

Had a really fun roll with James. Even though he was letting me work to an extent, I could tell that my movement and decision-making were better than usual. My focus on grips, underhooks and hip control were especially on point. There was one ah-ha moment when I was in top side-control and scooting my butt toward his head to clear his near-side arm while controlling his hips. Small thing, but it felt good. He commented after that he felt it was a good roll too.

Hopefully my energy levels will stay up so that I can get a decent lift in tonight.

No comments: