Friday, January 18, 2013

Turtle Top Position

1/18 - Downtown

Very similar to what we did on 12/15/12. For whatever reason, my partner and I didn't seem to be getting a ton of reps in. As a result, when we started rolling I felt like I was waaaaaay behind as far as energy level was concerned and got just crushed on my first roll.

Going to focus notes on basic top turtle position.

  • Don't sit next to them on your knees. Have one knee up and use it drive into them.
  • When putting pressure on them, don't do it from the top down. You want to be low, almost as low as they are. Hunker down.
  • Don't have one knee down behind their butt. If you are going to have a leg behind them, either straighten it out completely or get it between their legs and then get one of your shins over the top of their shin (this will prevent them from rolling). 
  • When gripping them with an arm over their back, keep your hand as close to their hips as possible. Do NOT reach through by their ribcage. You are begging for them to get a hold of it from there and reverse you.
  • When pulling them into back-mount, hip out a bit to give yourself some space to get both hooks through and so they don't end up right on top you (which would make it easier for them to escape before you have your hooks in).
Rolled with Blaine, Keith, Antone, Dennis. Really frustrated with my rolls b/c I felt like I was doing ridiculously dumb things over and over. Antone had me in a sortof backwards triangle that I staved for a bit until he got my arm free. Blaine kicked my ass pretty good, don't remember what sub he got me with but he escaped from turtle (our starting position) in about half a second and was on top the rest of the time. Meh.

No comments: