Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pulling Guard

1/5 - Downtown

Seriously, between yesterday and today, nothing but pulling guard. Best classes ever.

Same technique as yesterday. One addition is that we worked in a sweep after the guard pull. Assuming you are doing the foot on hip guard pull, switch hands to control their sleeve (so if you start off with your L hand on their R sleeve, switch it to your R hand), use your R hand to cup behind their L ankle, and drop your R leg behind their R knee. Pull the sleeve, keep their R ankle in place, pull your R foot toward you and push with your L foot on their R hip. Down they go.

Rolled with Matt (Purple), Antone, Russ, Opal and Jake. The first three gave me plenty of fits, though Matt was fairly gassed by the time I rolled with him. Antone had me knots and I didn't seem to be protecting well. Didn't feel like I did much better with Russ, though he told me I was tough. Opal and Jake are both newbies, so I walked them through some basics as we rolled.

In addition, I had the school patches affixed to my Koral gi today and it looks pretty sharp. :)

No comments: