Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Maintaining Seated Guard & Loop Choke

1/23 -  Downtown

Weird title but wasn't sure what to call it.

Technique
Worked on breaking sleeve, lapel and leg (near hem of pants) grips from seated guard.

If opponent gets hand/leg grips on same side (i.e. your R arm and R leg), grip their pants around the knee with your R hand to prevent them standing and dumping you over for the pass.

If you have lapel grip with your R hand on their R lapel and they stand with both legs near you, pull down on the grip and as they posture up, hook your feet behind their ankles and push on their knees to dump them.

If you have lapel grip with your R hand on their R lapel and they stand and move to your L, cup their R leg with your L hand, get feet into stand-in-base type position, make fist of the R hand that is on their lapel and drive their shoulder back as you pick their ankle with your L hand and stand up.

If they move to your R, put your L foot down, bring entire R leg up, swing a bit to the R and then fall to your R hip as you pull down on their lapel. This should drive them to all fours. Instead of moving in for turtle, secure a wrap around their lower R leg (closest to you) and maintain lapel grip. If they try to roll or run away they'll pull you into side-control.

Also worked on the same loop choke as the day before.

Rolls

Rolled with Sara, Manny, Antone, Dennis and Saul. Did ok for the most part. Tried to impose my game plan more, but every time I was in bottom side-control or bottom kesa gatame I got a little frustrated when I couldn't get out. Had some really interesting transitions with Antone where he was obviously going for something diabolical and I did just enough to escape whatever it was. Manny and I had interesting transitions too...at one point I was inverted and somewhat lengthened out and he came back over the top of me...didn't feel so hot on my back/neck, but he let up right away and I was fine.

No comments: