Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mount Transitions

1/15 - Downtown

Ugh...my right ear has been irritated lately and today during technique it started bleeding a little bit. Many sads. It's the same one that I had surgery on a couple of years ago to address swelling. Doesn't appear to be any fluid build-up, but now I've got cauliflower on my mind.

Big class today, I think we ended up with 12 plus James. Did pummeling for a bit to start, then into mount transitions. Side-control to mount, mount to S-mount, mount to seated mount. I think we only rolled for 20-25 minutes today. Anything less than an hour seems so light now.

Technique
1. Side-control to Mount: Get to kesa gatame on opponent's R side. Your R arm should have an underhook on their L arm, NOT under their head. Too easy for them to take your back from there. Step over their head with your L leg, taking their R arm with it and guiding with your L hand so it's triangled in front of their face (teabag). Switch the hold on their wrist from your L hand to your R hand. Feed your L forearm under their head and switch grips on wrist from R to L. Switch hips back to side-control. Use R hand on their upper L arm just above the elbow and walk fingers up on the mat to drive their arm up. Once you have enough space, slide your L knee up to their head and step R leg over into S-mount. Try to capture their L arm on the R side of your neck for straight arm-bar. Can leg go of the teabagged arm once you have some control of the other. Can move into kimura if straight arm-bar isn't working.

2. Mount to cross-choke: From a loose mount (low on their hips), get your hands under their elbows so that when you start walking your fingers up towards their head their elbows collapse toward each other. Keep fingers on the mat and be deliberate. Once their elbows are above the level of their head, put both hands on the mat in a CPR-like position and move your feet tight to the front of their hips. If they move to protect from the choke (i.e. hands crossed under their neck), feed a hand under their hands and get a grip on the lapel. Feed your R hand up up up until it's near the back of their neck. Bring L hand to the L side of their head and scrape their head to the R until you can get your thumb in their collar or on the fabric of their shoulder for the cross-choke.

3. Cross-choke to Seated Mount Choke: Assume when you go for a deep lapel grip with your R hand that they trap your wrist, get a grip on your upper R arm and hip up and shrimp to their L. Move immediately to seated mount, with R foot tight to their hip and sliding L hand under their head. Grip their L shoulder and pull them toward you, which should turn them a bit more on their side. Feed grip from R hand to L hand. Can choke from there, or feed R arm under their left arm and then behind their head.

Rolls
Rolled with Antone, Dennis, Sara, Felicia and Manny. I felt like I did well with everyone today, although I couldn't capitalize on superior positions when I had them. I don't remember what happened with Antone but I seemed to fend off bad positions better. Transitions felt really good. Dennis got mount or side-control and I left an arm flapping out for him to kimura. Dumb mistake. Manny and I rolled after class and after pulling him into guard I took his back and was threatening him when I--for reasons I still cannot comprehend--decided to go for a body triangle. I think I did it because I was off to the side a bit and it seemed like the right thing to do. He immediately foot locked me. Even as I was trying to lock it up, I was thinking, WTF am I doing this? It's ok though, I did as well as I've ever done with him.

No comments: