Sunday, January 20, 2013

Butterfly Sweeps

1/19 - Downtown

So it's almost two days later, not sure what I'm going to remember. What is most prominent in my thoughts now is the fact that my back does not feel right. It's not doing the spasm thing, which is probably good. Lower back is just sore, feels like a pretty wide swath is effected. Hope it settles down soon.

Technique
Set-up: You are in butterfly guard, with L knee close to the mat.

1. Sweep: Get an underhook on the R side, and get R arm on their back by their belt. If they have a grip on your pants or elsewhere with their R hand, break it with your hands and get it under your L armpit. Fall to the side on your L and kick your R leg as you go, which will help rotate them over. Should end up in side-control.

2. Sweep: You start attempting the sweep above, but they counter by diving their L arm on the outside of your R leg and gripping the bottom hem of your L pants. I don't remember what you do...something magical and you pull them up onto you and then over to your R.

3. Sweep to Standing: Grip the L lapel high with your R hand. Pull down as you stand up and step back with R foot. They should be on all fours. Grip their R sleeve with your L hand, and ensure your forearm is under their chin. Spin your R hand away from you as you pull your L hand toward you. Should flip them on their back.

4. Loop Choke: Same set-up as above, but lower your grip on their lapel so it isn't so high...about the upper chest, and loop your R arm around their head. Dive around the outside of their R arm (assuming it is posted out in front of them) toward their center. You'll pull them over the top of you. Keep your head up, and snake your L arm under their R arm and then behind their head. Switch hips and flatten out. Goal is to get L hand on the mat and be fairly perpendicular.

Rolls
Didn't have good mojo on the rolls. Think I rolled with Colt, Antone, Sam, James and Manny. Antone had me a nasty almost choke for quite some time. I came close to tapping several times but not quite. Sam was dominating and tapped me a bunch. I don't remember my roll with James much except that I forgot the basic technique for breaking a collar choke (two-handed gable grip in front). D'oh. Not pleased with my rolls. Such ups and downs.

No comments: