Saturday, January 5, 2013

Takedowns and Bloody Noses

1/4 - Downtown

So, in an ironic twist, I got caught in a triangle today. I thought I could stave it off for awhile, but I finally tapped. When I did, I came up with nice nose bleed. Had to sit out the next couple of rounds. Bah!

Went over take-downs, or as I like to call it: Pulling Guard More Intelligently

Technique
1. Jump Guard -- Never actually did this b/c I'm a wuss.

2. Foot on hip -- Assuming you have the R sleeve control with your L hand and control of their L lapel with your R hand, you can tap their R leg with your R leg to draw you in, then put your L foot on their R hip and pull them down or sweep. Very, very important if you are going to pull guard that the foot on the hip is on the same side that you have sleeve control. If you have sleeve control of their L arm, your R foot goes on their left hip. If you have sleeve control of their R arm, your L foot goes on their R hip. However you get there is fine.

3. Fake foot on hip and ankle pick -- If their R foot is forward and you have same sleeve/lapel control as above, fake putting your R foot on their hip, drop down and let go of the sleeve to ankle pick their R foot. If they pull it back, switch to picking their L foot. I kept dropping my hand that was on the lapel to do the pick and not the hand on the sleeve. NO. Drop the hand that was on the sleeve and keep the lapel grip. This will help pull them to the side and down if you have to go for the other foot. It's just better control all around.

Rolls
Rolled with Chris, Blaine, Derek, Kyle and Grit. Grit is "new" in that I haven't seen him before. He is not "new" to BJJ. He's the one who applied the triangle which left me with a bloody nose. Chris was going fairly light, but still so good at maintaining side control. I did best against Derek and Blaine, staying out of bad positions and trying to threaten from guard, mount or back mount. Didn't do well against Kyle, his athleticism is great and technique isn't bad either.


After class Matt and I rolled for what seemed like 15min...dunno how long it was, but he ended up getting an ezekiel from mount.
 

No comments: