Monday, July 25, 2011

7/18
Afternoon
6 mile run - Centennial Trail @ Riverside State Park -> Stone St (80F)
Completed in 59:58:58

I haven't gone out to just run for the better part of 6 months. I signed up for the Dirty Dash on Aug 20th, which is similar to the Warrior Dash with a distance of 10k. Figured I better find out if my hinky feet would hold up for that long.

I've done a lot of ultimate frisbee since November. I wasn't sure how frisbee would translate to a long-distance (for me) run, but it seems to have translated pretty well. Clocked in 2 seconds under 60mins. Really had no expectation of how quickly I would finish, but am very happy that it was in an hour. Rough estimate on the distance, but it felt pretty consistently like a 10min/mile pace.

Foot started acting up at 45min in and I almost had to stop at 48min, but I was able to get off the pavement for a bit and finished up. Foot was sore by the end, but not the activity-halting pain that I usually get.
 
7/19
Afternoon
Ultimate Frisbee 1hr
I finally, finally caught a long pass on the run while a defender was breathing down my neck. Felt so awesome. My knee felt a bit hinky on the run down to the park, but once we started playing it was fine. Probably shouldn't have played after yesterday's run, but oh well...

Evening
BJJ 1.5hrs
Worked with Zak on mount control, chokes from mount and omoplata defense. Could drill that stuff all day. Miss having Scott or Gary there every class. Had four rolls after the technique and they went fairly well. I need to focus on sweeping from guard instead of always/only going for submissions. Did get a triangle though.

Later in the Evening...
Lift & WOD
BS: 45lb x 5 x 2; 65lb x 5; 75lb x 5; 85lb x 5

Squats felt pretty good. My knees are no where near as stable as I would like, they probably shake like leaves on a tree, but my depth is good and someday (SOMEDAY!) I will get serious about working on my abductors/adductors.

WOD
AMRAP 12min
65lb Deadlift x 10
Pushups x 20
Single Unders x 60

Completed 3 rounds + 10 DLs

Went straight to the gym after BJJ b/c I didn't think working out the next morning was going to be a good plan. I was nice and loose for the squats, but probably too tired for the WOD. The weight was perfect for the DLs, as I was able to do them unbroken and focus on form. The pushups were killer. Need to get on a X number of pushups a day program b/c I'm tired of sucking at those.

The SUs were also strangely difficult. Felt uncoordinated and unable to keep count of where I was. I can't wait to keep count on DUs. Anyone that has a clever method of counting skips, please share.
 
7/21
Afternoon
Ultimate Frisbee 1hr
Had a pretty good game. 4x4 for the most part. I switched sides after 10mins b/c our 8th man showed up. Totally brain-farted and threw to the wrong team for the next several posessions. Had a couple of good catches, good defense and tried to cram in some throws that I don't have enough finesse for yet.

Evening
BJJ 1.5hrs
Worked on technique with Gary and then rolled ~20min with him. Great, great rolls. I was able to clean up some techniques that I had worked on for the past week during the drills and then played my bottom game for most of the rolling portion. My "game" in this instance means that he had me in a tight side-control and I vainly tried to escape. Loved it though...realized that I need to pay more attention to which way I'm shrimping/upa'ing out instead of blindly flailing.

He tried to pass my guard several times and dug those elbows in good to my thighs...which means the squats tomorrow morning ought to feel reeeal nice.

Yesterday was a rest day. I'm getting better at taking rest days. Look Ma, improvement!
 
7/22Turns out I wasn't scheduled to do squats today. However, I was scheduled to do deadlifts, which feel just as a terrific as squats would have after the bruising that I got in BJJ last night.

Day 3 of Chris' program.

Lift:
Deadlift 65lb x 5; 75lb x 5; 85lb x 5

Metcon:
10-8-6-4-2 Dips
400m Run between reps
Completed in 13:48

25 throw med ball against wall in sit up position (untimed)

The metcon was good. Did all of the dips with 40lb assistance except for the last two. Next time I'll lower the assistance to 30lb on rep 6 and 20lb on rep 4. The transition to and from the treadmill wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I tried leaving it on the first time but it turned itself off. Thanks treadmill. Could have done the first couple of runs at a faster pace if I was, you know, awake.
 
7/22
Afternoon
Frisbee 1hr
Had a decent game. Played good defense and had quite a few deflections. Feel like my defense has turned the corner in the past month or so.

7/23-7/24
Weeding. Lots and lots of weeding.

7/25
BS: 45lb x 5 x 2; 65lb x 5; 75lb x 5; 85lb x 5 x 3
Bench: 45lb x 5; 95lb x 5; 105lb x 5 x 3
Seated Row: 40lb x 12; 50lb x 10
TTB: 5
Dips: 4

Did not warm up adequately. Didn't stretch enough nor did I get the heart pumping sufficiently. Felt like my knees were flapping in and out all of the over place during the squats. Adductor/Abductor seemed bitter from the weeding. Surprisingly, bench felt really good and I could have gone for 115lb for probably 3 reps. Did the seated row to try to work my lower back but not sure that my form was right.

Not the biggest fan of working out at 5am.

No comments: