Thursday, July 7, 2011

Double-Faulting is Easy

7/6
Afternoon
Trainer ~1hr
-crunches on the ball
-bent over rows
-romanian deads
-deads
-db presses
-squats

Finally got under the bar for squats. I could immediately tell when my feet were starting to track out. Wasn't watching my knees, but one of them started to cave. Didn't push the depth, and took a break to foam roll and do hydrants on the side that was caving. Went back to the rack and saw immediate improvement. I was getting about 3/4 depth with the correct form. *sigh* I should probably roll, stretch and do the activation exercises for my calves every. single. day. Who knew?

He gave me 15lb DBs to press and I was thinking "are you serious"? Turns out incline pressing using correct form to engage your back correctly is hard.

Deads were also really, really hard when doing them correctly. Part of it is that I have so much in my head (butt back but stay up, arch arch ARCH the back, eyes up, etc) that I have to think through each movement. It's like learning a complicated technique in BJJ...thinking while you are moving usually leads to some herky jerky.

Evening
3.5 Doubles Match
We won! The drought is over! 6-4, 6-3. I had another round of three double-faults in a row. Distressing. I don't know what happened to my serve, but sometimes it is a disaster. I played ok, but I know that I can play much better. Hopefully my game will improve in the mixed doubles tournament this weekend. Otherwise it's going to be a loooooong weekend for my partners.

No comments: