Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July Heat (finally)

Previous post should be dated 7/9 - 7/10.

7/11
Afternoon
Ultimate Frisbee - 1hr
After the long winter and cold Spring, 80 degrees felt HOT yesterday. Overall I was pretty happy with how I did. Should have hydrated better pre-game. Apparently a liter and a half of water isn't enough to sprint in the heat for an hour.

Evening
Lift and modified "Jack"
BS: 45 x 5 x 2; 65 x 5; 85 x 5 x 3; 95 x 3
DL: 45 x 5 x 2; 65 x 5; 85 x 3

Meh. First time I've lifted on my own in a month. Really really focused on keeping my back neutral. I think I did pretty well on the deads, except the 85lb felt heavy. *sigh* Holding off on bench/press work b/c my right arm is sore from the 5-6hrs of tennis over the weekend.

Modified "Jack"
10min AMRAP
10 wallball (10lb)
10 kb swings (20lb)
10 box jumps (24")

5 rounds plus 3 box jumps.

Everything unbroken, except for pauses between some jumps. Wanted to do a heavier ball but the gym didn't seem to have anything between 10lb and 40lb. Should have done a heavier KB too. Still got a good sweat going. If I went the full 20min I'd probably keep the weights as is. That sounds like a real treat.

Had one of my best nutrition days yesterday. The only thing missing was sweet potato. Hmmm...I take it back then. Terrible nutrition day.  :P

7/12
Afternoon
Ultimate Frisbee 1hr
Hydrated better beforehand. Played fairly well again, although I ended up guarding two pretty fast guys near the end b/c we were short-handed. Ran back to work instead of getting a ride, so an extra half mile or so jog to "cool down" in 80+ degree heat.

Evening
BJJ 1.5hrs
Great to get back on the mats. Was tired before I left due to not getting enough sleep this week, but once we warmed up I was fine. Went over some basic moves and then moved to more advanced techniques. Omoplata defense (kick legs one way in a sortof cartwheel and end up in side-control, roll the other way and you end up in their guard again). Also did double-ankle sweep to armbar, scissor sweep and push sweep from guard. Rolled with Z twice and had very well-matched rolls with him. Rolled with Taylor once or twice and kept one hand on my belt to make it more fair. Haven't ever done that before and it was very difficult. It's a great training idea.

Probably won't do any type of running today since I've done a fair amount of that between tennis and frisbee. Will hopefully get under a barbell though.

No comments: