Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Starting Strength Redux

My starting weights were too high.  I should have started at a much lower weight so that I could initially add 5lb increments and get my body used to work that it could comfortably do before adding increments that would be more work.

4/26

BJJ 1.5hrs
Went over some of the 88 fundamental techniques for the blue belt test. No rolling at the end. I fear there may not be rolling for awhile, as we are focusing strictly on the techniques for the test in June. :(

4/27
W/U
Row 1500m 7:53

BS
45lb x 5 x 2
50lb x 5
55lb x 3
60lb x 5 x 3

Press
20lb x 5 x 2
30lb x 5 x 3

DL
45 x 5 x 2
50 x 3
55 x 5

Pullups 6; 4; 3; 3

These all felt pretty good, as they should with the lower weight. It was difficult to find equipment to accommodate such a low press. I could have used a short bar and put plates on but I was pretty short on time. The lower weight barbells were scattered around for some reason. I was pretty happy that both squat racks were free.

Friday I'll increase my work loads by 5lbs. That will still be under what I can comfortable do, but I will use that to work on my forms.

I have to say, I felt a bit like tool loading 2.5lb plates for the squat and deadlift.  Oh well.  Need small gains to get the big ones.

No comments: