Saturday, April 30, 2011

Doubles Win

4/30

Tennis - 3.5 League Doubles

G and I had a first doubles league match together today. I've only ever played singles in league, so it was a bit of a different experience for me. I play doubles for fun on Sundays, but in league I'm used to the singles lines, the singles atmosphere, the self-reliance, the *vibe*.  Doubles is definitely a different experience. We played in CDA and they only had two courts. We were one of the first teams to go, so no waiting around to get nervous which was nice.  They also had a bench and chairs just outside of the net on the court we were playing on, which was really, really weird. I'm not used to spectators being on the court. That took some getting used to as well.

We started off a little rusty. I think we were down 1-2 or 1-3. I could hit a return to save my life. Had some volleys, but my baseline shots were terrible. I finally got those dialed in and hit some lobs to their baseline. G was a beast at the net and we came back to win the first set 6-3.  We went down in the second set, 1-2. Got it back to 2-2 and then we were pretty even for the rest of the set. We got it 6-4 and got the first victory for our team.  I missed most of my alley shots (much to my dismay).  My volleys overall were good. Court coverage was good. G and I communicated pretty well and there were only a couple of rallies where we weren't sure of who was going to get the ball. My serves were ok...I double faulted a couple of times, but was mostly ok. Had a couple of great gets and one great rally.  They hit a good shot on our baseline, but they had both committed to one side of the court. I was a bit off balance, but was able to place a perfect shot in the open area. I think that happened a couple of times.

Cardio was fine, never felt tired although we did have a couple of long rallies. My speed to balls was pretty good. Technique was so-so. Needed to settle down in the first set. It was weird, b/c I had a really good warm-up (actually had time to warm-up before the line-ups were exchanged and then the official warm-up with the other team). In any case, I'm very happy that G and I won together.  :)

Watched UFC 129 tonight. Some great fights tonight and incredible finishes. Was bummed about Couture going out like that (literally). Happy GSP got the win even though it went the distance. A win is a win.

No comments: