Friday, June 7, 2013

Spiderguard Pass

6/7 - Downtown

I got to pick the area of technique today, and I chose passing spiderguard. Relatively simple passes, or at least relatively easy to remember. We also did a pass from X guard and stepping into an opponent's seated guard.

Rolls were good. I got pretty much demolished, but my energy levels are almost all the way back. I don't mind getting demolished. It's better than feeling like you need to nap all day. I tried the baseball bat choke several times and met with a truckload of failure.

Technique

1. Spiderguard Pass - Knee slide: From standing, get a grip around the outside of their knees, bring your forearms together and step back. This should ease the push/pull tension they have. Step into them, raising their legs and getting your hips forward. If you want to pass to your L, get your R knee between their legs.

2. Spiderguard Pass - Side control: From standing, get a grip on the inside of their shins, bring your forearms together and step back. Pop elbows out and simultaneously drive their feet to the mat. Maintain grips as to you start to walk to one side. If passing to the R, dive your R shoulder into their L shoulder and keep their feet off of the mat so they can't reguard.

3. Spiderguard to X Guard: Put L foot in their R elbowpit. Drop R foot to floor and kick L foot toward the ceiling. This should drive them to step toward you. Release grip with R hand and grab the backside of their L ankle. Keep L foot and sleeve control while you bring  your R foot to the top inside of their R thigh. Once that's established, drop your L foot under your R.

4. X Guard Pass: Assuming your L ankle is by their head, sit back on your L leg and try to drive your knee across their chest and toward their hip. You aren't sliding it as much as you are sitting it down on their chest. You're keeping them flat so that you can grab the leg that's hooking you (their R?) and hold it down while you move your R leg forward to free it and then step back. R knee goes to their belly and L leg steps back for KOB.
  •  When you have X guard, you prevent this from happening by pinioning their knee to your head/neck and turning their kneecap outward.
5. Seated Guard Pass - Cradle: Get low, step in with R foot between their legs. Grab back of their neck with your R arm (intent is to cross-face them, so get deep), and under their R thigh with your L arm. Your shoulder is driving into their shoulder as you backstep with your L foot and land on your R hip.

6. Seated Guard Pass - R hand goes on their L hip, L hand on their R knee. James had everything pinched in tight instead of trying to kill the knee. Start walking to one side. If they don't frame and try to regain guard, take side-control from there. If they do frame, walk back toward their feet (maintaining hand position) to flatten them out and get your hip to their hip. Keep their feet off of the floor so they can't reguard. If you are trying to pass to your R, get your L hip to their R hip and step your R leg over your L and get your R leg against their butt, pinning their legs up. You're pinning everything in place and making sure you break their sleeve grips if they still have them. You can dive your L hand under their L leg to break that one if they are being stubborn.

Rolls


Oh baseball bat. Tried numerous times from side-control but I was way too slow getting my second hand in, and I paid for it. Almost got arm-barred and usually ended up in worse positions than where I started. Was fun to try though, and I'm going to stick with it. May not be high percentage, but becoming somewhat proficient at it since I'm in bottom side all the time would be good for my game. Other than that, rolls were good. Several times I moved my leg in such a way that made it very easy for my partner to pass my guard, and I immediately I was like wtf am I doing? We had an odd number of people today, so roll with Antone, rest, Dennis and Jason and then another roll with Dennis after class.

I'm so, so happy that I'm pretty much over the mono. What a drag.

No comments: