Friday, June 28, 2013

Reservoirs and Rivers

6/27 - Valley

I'm over my little fit. Amazing what 24hrs and a decent roll can do to soothe the ego.

Went to class yesterday, and waited outside for a bit b/c we didn't have keys to get inside. Fortunately DT came (and had keys), so after a very brief warm-up we got right down to it.

Paper cutter from mount, mount to KOB to collar choke, mount to tech mount to chicken wing, mount escape to butterfly and mount escape to foot lock. The escape to foot lock is still super awkward for me, b/c it's a hip bump up but then immediately onto your side and a big shrimp out. I'm struggling in the transition to getting on my side.

Rolled with Gary and DT. Had a fun roll with Gary. He let me work open and closed guard and even some back-mount after I did an arm drag from closed guard. Sometimes it's not obvious to me as to whether he's letting me work or if I'm legitimately getting to good positions. Don't remember much about roll with DT other than he got me in a foot lock near the end.

So we're sitting around after the rolls chit-chatting (which we never, ever do) and talking about sharing techniques. DT tells us about people being reservoirs or rivers with their knowledge (collecting or sharing). I wasn't sure if it was a general statement or directed at me. I train at two schools, and the guys are naturally curious as to what I'm picking up at the other school. I'm happy to share with them, but the problem is that I don't feel comfortable sharing techniques unless I really understand them. Well, after the reservoir/river speech, I felt like I should ante up. I figured the guys would be impressed with a rolling back take from half guard, so I get into Scott's half guard and...........didn't have it. Was mixing the rolling back take with something else, and apparently even the modest pressure of three guys watching (all of whom have been my instructor, by the by) was too much for me to handle. I tried several times but couldn't get in the right position. So we line up, bow out and DT takes off. I was pretty humbled and frustrated with myself.

Time to go, so I open my bag to get my gear and see my notebook in which I had recorded in detail how to do the rolling back take. Scott and Gary were gracious enough to give me another chance, and sure enough, once I got going in the right direction I was able to pull it off. The guys were suitably impressed, and in fact loved it. They both did it over and over again, and if we all didn't have to go back to work probably would have drilled it for an hour straight.

I was relieved to have been able to contribute something that really made the guys light up.

No comments: