Monday, June 24, 2013

Mount Chokes


6/24 - Downtown

It was one of those days. I had two different guys say that they wanted to take it easy. One of them proceeded to choke the s*** out of me repeatedly during the entire 6min roll, and the other was huffing and puffing and throwing arms and legs everywhere. I wasn't upset that they guys wanted to go for it, but I was a little ticked that I went into the rolls super mellow at their request and got my ass handed to me. Some people just don't understand that they can't NOT be competitive. Own it.

Anyway.

I skipped Saturday's class b/c I felt like crap. I wrestled all morning with whether or not I was going to go to class. Was all geared up and about to walk out the door when I decided that my body would be better off without it. Ended up taking a nap, which I never do. Chilled out Sunday too, and went to class more or less refreshed today. I think the mono is still kicking my ass a little bit.

Today we worked on mount chokes, and then defenses to those chokes. Fairly basic collar choke, ezekiel and bow and arrow. Felt like I had a pretty good handle on them. The ezekiel defense is dicey b/c you're waiting for them to extend their arms in the final part of the choke when you shoot your arm through. So right when the choke is at its worst is when you try to bust out. I can see having some success with this, but it's going to be a close call. And if they use their fist in the side of your neck instead of their sleeve? Forget about it.

Rolled with Julio, Kevin, James, Dennis and Nate. Not sure exactly what happened with Julio, but at one point my neck got rolled funny and I had to shake it out. It's a little sore tonight, but not too bad. I did fairly well with Julio today, I think I defended pretty well. Kevin crushed me. Had a good roll with Dennis, a fair amount of back and forth. The roll with James was weird...I realized that I was timid and trying to think of the right thing to do instead of just going with the flow. The roll with Nate was ok, don't really remember any details.


No comments: