Friday, May 10, 2013

50/50 Guard - Bug

5/10

I don't know what's up with the radical peaks and valleys this week, but whatever. Today was a complete disaster. I contemplated not going to class and should have followed my intuition. We went over transitioning from shin guard to 50/50 guard and then passing from 50/50. Also transitioning from side-control to 50/50. The technique portion was ok, except I felt pretty awkward since it was new to me.

For 20min we had 4 people down on the mat, everyone else against the wall. Challenger could choose between having guard or being in guard. First one to pass or sweep stays down, other person against the wall. I chose to be in guard, and got swept every time. There were only two or three of us against the wall, so I had a lot of opportunities. I tried standing guard passes, and came close once or twice but did something wrong and got caught. Very frustrating. I wasn't putting forth much effort when if/when it devolved into a scramble, which made me feel even worse.

A couple of times I thought that I should just start in guard (my stronger position) so that I'd have some success, but that felt like caving so I decided to stick it out.

We only had time for two rolls after that. Rolled with Antone and Dennis, and had very little defense to offer.

MEH.

No comments: