Tuesday, May 7, 2013

24hrs Later - Windshield

5/7 - Valley

What a difference 24hrs can make. Was able to clear my head last night and class today went much, much better.

And SK, you'll appreciate this...I forgot my belt at home, but instead of being given a white belt loaner, Gary let me borrow his, which meant I was promoted for the day. :)


We went over sweeps, primarily against an opponent who is standing.

1. Double-ankle: Timing is everything. Remember to come up to the side and get a cross grip so that they don't come down right on your legs.

2. Overhead: As you're gripping the tops of the shoulders, pinch your elbows in to keep them from being able to pull out their arms and post.

3. Handstand: Try to keep guard closed as you twist the hips. It doesn't take a dramatic shift of the hips. Hook their R leg with your L arm, shift hips to the L and then push off your R hand near your head. I think when I've tried this in rolls I've been opening my legs quite a bit and over-exaggerating the hip movement.

Set-up: Opponent on knees, you're holding their head/neck down. Opponent brings L leg up, trying to regain posture.

4. Arm-In: Grip inside of their L leg, trap their R arm, R leg comes up to the L lat and sweep over.

5. Arm-Wrap: Worked the choke, shoulder lock and omoplata. My tendency is to start hipping out as soon as I've fed their collar to arm that has the wrap. We played with this a bit and found that you're better off getting fully set-up (i.e. other arm over the back of their head and controlling) before hipping out. If you get a thumb in grip on the back of their neck, you can lasso around easily to the choke if they try to move away from the overwrap.

Roll at the end with Scott, not sure how long. Probably 5-6mins. He brought the heat, but I moved as well I have in quite some time. Nailed a tripod sweep, moved to side-control, transitioned to N/S and at some point took his back. Kept (foolishly) trying for bow-and-arrow and lost position, but was able to maintain back mount for a bit. He had reverse kesa gatame and I was able to hook his outside arm and get myself an escape. At some point I had guard and was threatening a triangle but didn't try hard enough to get his free arm all the way out. He ended up in side-control but I acquitted myself very well.

2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

LOL..... if they did that to me, that would GARANTEE I'd never be without my belt again. Going back to white belt is kind of a treat- if they made me wear a darker belt, I'd be mortified and feel terrible!

Relax On The Mat said...

I felt like a jerk, but I'm not going to lie, I think the higher belt gave me super powers. For a day. :)