Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ruminations the Weekend Before

3/16

No training today. Felt off yesterday and almost feverish at work after class. Am really not pleased about getting sick the weekend before Pans, but it's not under my control. I'm going to be very mellow this weekend and hope that it passes in a couple of days. I'd like to roll on Monday morning and afternoon, but will play it by ear and see how I feel. Seems to be a head cold so far, and might be in large part due to fatiguing my body this week. Oops.

I have four competitors in my bracket, so I imagine it will be a straight-forward process of two matches to decide how everyone places. Win and you compete for 1st/2nd, lose and you get 3rd. The one consolation is that I think I'm eligible for absolute regardless of what happens in my weight class since everyone will place. If I understand the process correctly, that will guarantee me two matches. That is somewhat reassuring, in case I wet the bed in my first match.

I've tried to visualize what it will be like to compete on that stage. I'm anticipating nerves on a grand scale, but am hoping to manage them well enough that I don't get an adrenaline dump or lose my sense of focus. I've gone through several mental machinations, trying to anticipate or guide how I want to feel and approach the experience. Yesterday it occurred to me that I'm trying too hard to control how I'm going to react to a future event, and I think it's a futile practice. I need to trust in my game, preparation and mental fortitude. Let the rest of the world drop away (except for the voice of my coach, if I can hear him) and do jiu-jitsu.

No comments: