Monday, March 4, 2013

Defending the Combat Stance

2/28 - Valley

Reviewed several of the basics like the half-guard sweep (drive the bus). A part that I had been missing was bumping them to one side, then collapsing their outside knee. You don't have to push it back, just collapse it next to you.

A couple of rolls. One with T, which I felt good about b/c he didn't submit tho he did have dominant position.

3/1 - Downtown

We did a couple of pretty complex DLR sweeps. Trying to shoot under their near side leg with your head and then rolling them over. Meh. Don't remember much about the rolls.

3/2 - Downtown

Small class b/c there was a local tourny. I took advantage and asked James how to defend when my opponent gets the combat stance in my guard. I find myself in that position quite a bit and have no idea what to do with it. Soo...

Assuming opponent has their R knee up:

1. Push on the of their R thigh with your R foot to create space. Grip their R lapel with your L hand their R sleeve with your R hand.

2. Get DLR under their L leg. I can't remember exactly where the best foot placement is for this, but I do remember you want to be deep across their hip. Keep pushing with your R leg to get the space you need. Pull them down to your R side as you push their R leg away and (maybe) move your L leg to the R.

3. I can't remember the point that James made about clearing the leg, but I think it was get your hips down and move toward their hips instead of their head, clear the leg, get a cross-face and then move into side control. The way that he was showing to clear the leg, my tendency was to turn away from them to do it, but the idea is to face them as much as possible.

After this, we did continuous rolling with James, Sam and the three girls for most of the time. Then some circuit training for I don't know how long. Then James and I rolled once more. I was a little worried I'd be blown out from the circuits but I did well.

At the last minute we decided to compete at the Revolution tourny next week as a tune-up for Pans. Apparently the hardware is pretty pimp this go round.

3 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

Apparently the hardware is pretty pimp this go round.
---------
LOL. Good luck! Let me know how it goes. What weight class? We have several competing blue belt ladies now at Gracie Barra Seattle/Bellevue.

Relax On The Mat said...

The weight class that no one else is ever in...152 - 163lb. Are you going to be there???

SavageKitsune said...

No- I am *SO* fat and out of shape right now, and I'm just not sure I'm cut out for competing anyway.

I think most of our blue belt ladies are below 140.... I hope you have some competitors! Maybe they will have you fight purples. :)