Friday, March 15, 2013

DLR Sweeps

3/15 - Downtown

So. Tired. Seventh class this week, and my body is starting to hate me a little bit.

Worked DLR sweeps. James used me to demo, and I was ridiculously stiff. He actually had to tell me to relax. Made me chuckle at myself...

Technique

Opponent has combat stance with their R knee up. You have sleeve grips on both sides.

1. Spider to Triangle: Assuming they are crowding you with the knee, get your L foot inside of their R shin so that it's hooking the inside of their leg. R foot on the inside of their L elbow and push it diagonal to your R and behind them to get their weight off of their R foot. Use your L foot to sweep their R leg straight out to their R, then put your L foot on their R hip. Slide your R foot up and over for the triangle.

2. DLR Sweep Forward: If you can't get your L leg under their R knee, push their L leg away from you with your R leg to open the space, then get your L leg under their R leg and all the way across to their L hip. Release the sleeve grip with your R hand and grip their L collar. Pull them to your R. As they hit the mat, keep pressure on them with your hips. Don't just have your knee on their leg, sit back on them and keep the weight on. With the continued sleeve grip with your R hand, pull their L arm into your chest to keep them from getting their elbow on the floor and slide your R shin across their shin and down until your butt hits the floor. Roll onto them a bit and scoot your butt towards their hips to flatten them out.

3. DLR Sweep Backward: Same setup as #3, but if they base back when you try to dump them to the R, hook your R foot in front of their R shin so that your foot is on the outside of their ankle, release R grip from their collar to their L sleeve and release your R sleeve grip and grip their R knee instead. Lift up with your R leg and keep their L arm up as you dump them diagonally to the L. Maintain the leg and sleeve grip so they can't reguard.

Rolls

Not pleased with the rolls today. Felt like I couldn't get anything going. First one was with Kyle who was on top pretty much the entire time. Then Julio, who let me work a bit more than usual. We went over the sweep he showed me on Wednesday again but my brain just wasn't engaging. After that it was Matt, who also had top position almost the entire time. Then Saul, who let me work from guard and mount. A shorter roll with Kenny, in which I just flailed around with my guard.

Not encouraging. I think my body is tired and I'm really starting to inch towards the diminishing returns thing.

Also found out that Rodolfo will not be at Pan Ams b/c he wants to focus on Abu Dabhi. I was really looking forward to watching him roll in person, so I'm pretty bummed about this.

No comments: