Saturday, March 9, 2013

Revolution XXI

3/9 - Revolution Tournament

My weight class (med-heavy) was combined with the heavy weight class, so I had one other competitor. Best two out of three matches. I'd competed against her before years ago as a white belt. I think she had 60+lb on me, which is a fair amount, but it's something that I face on a semi-regular basis in class.

First match, I stand up for a bit and then pull guard. Couldn't do anything with it, she got side-control and I think I was able to regain guard but couldn't do anything else. Kept trying to triangle, which was dumb b/c she just shrugged them off and immediately passed my guard. I tried to take her back and came close a couple of times but couldn't get all the way around the corner. She won on points, I'm not sure by how much.

Second match, I tried a couple of times for a takedown but was too timid and to be honest I can't remember how we ended up on the ground. I was in side-control for the vast majority of the second match, if not the entirety. Could not escape to save my life. I was in an especially bad way when she cross-faced me, and she nearly got me with a choke that seemed to be compressing more on my mouth than my neck. I nearly tapped, but I think I escaped but ended up in another choke.

Overall not a good outing for me. Could not get my game going. Wasn't confident in any of my sweeps or submissions. Wish I would have moved around more, and really wish that when I had guard I would have at least tried to stand up or create some space and then attempt to get on top. I kinda blanked out when I was in guard b/c I didn't know what to do. I should have abandoned guard, which is a good lesson learned.

Great experience though, and very happy that I went and competed. As usual, competition really shines a light on the areas that you need to work on.

Proud of my team...guys had tough matches and competed well.

3 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

Too bad! Kudos for having the gonads to compete, though. That's a lot of weight to give up... and getting out of bottom side control is a bee-atch even when the opponent isn't a lot heavier than you.

Are you competing gi only?

SavageKitsune said...

I stand up for a bit and then pull guard. Couldn't do anything with it, she got side-control and I think I was able to regain guard but couldn't do anything else. Kept trying to triangle, which was dumb
-------
I seem to recall you complaining about a previous revolution match(es) where you had guard and couldn't do anything (unless I'm confusing your account with someone else). Maybe time to drill the crapola out of one or two go-to attacks from guard before Pans?

Relax On The Mat said...

Gi only for the time being. At some point in calendar year I'll start doing no gi classes and might compete, but I've got my hands full as it is. :)

Lately my closed guard game has been ok, but against a very stocky opponent it's not at all effective. In this scenario, I really don't think a closed guard game was a good idea anyway, even if my closed guard game was better. I'm definitely going to have opponents in my weight class for Pans, so I shouldn't need to address that particular problem this week. It was a good lesson to not try to pursue an avenue of attack that has been proven ineffective.

Good point about drilling...hopefully I can spend a lot of time this week repping moves that work for me.

Thanks for the support...hope to see you at the next Revolution. :)