Monday, June 27, 2011

The Losses Pile Up

Saturday was a big day. 

Started off with mixed doubles practice.  I'm really glad that I went, b/c I haven't played with men that really quite serious about winning in awhile.  Joe had a mean kick-serve that I was able to return once.  ONCE.  I could not time that thing for the life.  When I tried to come in and take it early, I became concerned for my well-being b/c he had quite a lot of a pace on it.  He had it kicking over to the left quite a bit, so I thought I had it all figured out when he kicked it to the right and it was all I could do to move my head out of the way in time before getting clocked.  *sigh*

I did fine with everyone else though.  Played better than I thought I would since I've been doing nothing but lose at doubles once a week.

Immediately following mixed doubles practice was BJJ.  Holly was instructing, so she went over some basics with a new kid (teenager) and Walter and she and I reviewed the ankle-sweep and kimura defense from last week.  Another mellow class.  I rolled with Walter twice at the end.  I was happy with the rolls.  Really need to work on subs from the guard when someone has committed their arm high up on my body (i.e. trying to perform a lapel choke).

Saturday evening I officially received my blue belt at graduation.  w00t!

Sunday
Played a competitive 2hr doubles match.  The sun was shining, the courts were empty and we went after it.  Linda and I took the first set 6-3, dropped the second set 4-6 and lost a heart-breaking tiebreaker at 9-11.  We were down 2-7 in the tiebreak and fought back to 9-9.  Really impressed that we hung in there and made it tight.  Bummed that we lost...we really did come close and we had our chances to win.  I got a little creative several times and was overthinking my shots in the beginning of the 2nd set and the beginning of the tiebreak.  When we tried, we did a good job of taking the net.  More of that, please.

No comments: