Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First Class as Blue

Had my first class as a blue belt last night.  Didn't really feel any different, except that a) there wasn't any pressure of studying for the test and b) we learned techniques that we had never done before.  Both of those things made it a great class.  Being able to breathe was also pretty fantastic.

Z and I paired off while the white belts worked on their techniques and we started with the working on the double ankle sweep.  We then moved to the double ankle sweep defense, getting an armbar while someone is defending and keeping/finishgin it if they try to roll out of it.  We then did arm-bar escapes from mount.  One where you get the leg off of your head and one where you pendulum yourself up.  Also did transitions between those two.  Would love to just drill all of that over and over again to get the muscle memory down, especially the immediate defense of grabbing the elbow of the non-arm-barred arm.  Overall, nothing too crazy, but it was nice to step outside of the 88 techniques that we've been drilling non-stop for the past couple of months.

Had five 4-minute rounds of rolling afterward.  Z and I had a great roll, we were really well-matched.  Had decent rolls with the other guys.  I was a little tired, but felt a million times better than I did during the test b/c I could BREATHE.  I think I am finally getting over this stupid cold.

No comments: