Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Nope, No Goals

I had several hours on Sunday to come up with a list of goals for the next little while or at the very least what I could/should drill. By the time class rolled around, I had a whole lot of nothing. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for me to set a plan with my training. I'd be well served by focusing on one area and getting proficient at it but I'm not. It's possibly due to having to drill something a whole lot before I'd ever be able to use it in rolling. It's also tough to get the matches to a specific position unless you are much more skilled than your opponent, at least that's been my experience.

So I didn't have a plan for class, and ended up drilling the long step from side-control, going to side-to-side. I've drilled this quite a bit and I think I've used it exactly zero times when rolling. I also did an omoplata and arm-bar drill that I'm thinking about using for the Fundamentals class but am not sure if it will be more confusing than not.

There were only four of us, Jason S., Jamie, Chaz and myself. We rotated through the drills once and rolls twice. I was feeling humbled by the end of class. I got absolutely worked by those guys. Chaz likes to move a lot, so not only does he does he dominate position, but he also dictates a fast pace. He doesn't hang out in especially advantageous positions, but moves on to another. That, in turn, means that I end up moving quite a bit more than if I was just getting crushed. It's good for me. I keep telling myself that.

Monday morning class was a decent size. We covered a variation of sweep from the 93 guard that I had seen before that uses a butterfly hook instead of my usual option of diving under their far leg and doing the not-quite-kneebah sweep. I was really struggling with elevating the butterfly hook until James pointed out that their weight has to be waaaaaaaaay on top of you. They have to commit their weight forward for it to work.

Rolled the entire time with Sarah. We had a really, really fun roll. At one point we had a rolling back attack battle, with both of our legs flailing in the air trying to get the shallow hook. Pure fun.

I'm maintaining the 3x week lifting schedule, and have added a year long push-up challenge. One push-up for each day of the year. Jan 1 = 1 push-up. Feb 1 = 32 push-ups. If I actually do it, I'll be spending most of next New Year's Eve doing push-ups, but that would still be pretty cool. We'll see how it goes. I picked a leap year too, of course. 

2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

since it's leap year, you should be doing LEAPING pushups..... ie, burpees. ;)

Relax On The Mat said...

Thought we were friends... :(