Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Jinx

Had some absolutely garbage rolls at advanced class on Sunday afternoon and again Monday morning. Even if I'm having a rough go of it, normally if I roll with James it's still a good roll. Not this week. Felt like I was doing all sorts of everything wrong. I think it was partly due to a physical affliction, b/c I had an odd ocular migraine episode (or something very similar) early Monday. Somewhat related, either my push-up progression or recent heavy bench press jacked up my right hand. Exerting pressure from my hand in a pushing motion against firm objects doesn't feel very good.

I suspect that this is all due to online discussion between teammates on Saturday night in which I mentioned that I was planning on doing adult Worlds this year. It's pretty much a guarantee that as soon as you even so much as sneeze in the direction of a tournament, you're body is going to start falling apart.

The one positive from the past couple of days is that I felt like the spider guard defense I worked on Sunday will be of some benefit. Not too many folks play spider at my gym, but if/when they do I've felt fairly lost. Jason S plays collar/sleeve control, which can fit into some of the same principles.

Hoping for better rolls today. Will probably do a double if Rachael goes.




No comments: