Saturday, January 23, 2016

Advanced Basics

I decided to tackle the fundamentals of open guard in my Fundamentals class today. I'm not sure if it was successful. I did a lot of preparation and gnashing of teeth as to whether I should show a variety of open guards or try to illustrate the basic concepts of most open guards with a single one. I decided to go the latter route, and picked DLR. Started off with a guard pull to DLR, then maintaining DLR, tripod sweep, DLR to RDLR and back again. 

I was well prepared, but I had too much in my head and not sure that it came out the way I would have wished. I missed a lot of points that Rachael and Jason S chimed in with, luckily for me. I'm going to have to reassess my plan for open guard.

I got absolutely manhandled in the open mat afterwards by everybody. Two blue belts submitted me a number of times, Jason was fighting for chokes for most of our roll, Rachael tapped me with bow and arrow, Jerry crushed me twice and had me fearing for my legs at one point b/c I was so convoluted. It's crazy to go from teaching a class of 20 or so to getting creamed.

No comments: