Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Monday Night & Wed Morn

Monday night went pretty well. Rachael and I rolled most of the time. She did well on takedowns, but once it hit the ground I was fairing better. She had to sit out a round b/c she wasn't feeling too hot. I rolled with Keith H. who has been out for a year or so. He did very well considering he was out all that time. 

Wednesday morning was more leg drag setups and then transitioning to an over-under if they attempt to reguard using a leg weave. I was working with another newish woman (Taylor) and she was doing pretty well with the gross movements. It's very interesting to see the rate at which different people pick up concepts.

Rolled with Taylor, Laurie, Jason S., Blaine and Shaun. I tried to let Taylor work more, but her movements are so unorthodox that I was having a difficult time doing my stuff the right way but still let her work. For example, I wanted her to be able to work with back control, but I had to basically back-step into her and stay turned away for it to happen. I think it's ok if I'm consciously doing it and don't make a habit. 

Laurie was admonishing herself for not getting the underhook when knee cut passing. I tried to reinforce it by taking her back or sweeping. Tee hee. I should have let her work more during the round, but I wasn't cognizant of the time.

Jason does this thing where he gets an arm-bar from...somewhere. I come up to get him on his back and crowd him and then he takes my back. I'm doing something really wrong when I crowd him. In any case, he got a body triangle. I was able to roll him to the side to get his hooked foot on the mat, but he set up a bow and arrow. Let me tell you, having someone transition from a body triangle directly into a bow and arrow is decidedly uncomfortable. I'm not sure at what point he unlocked the triangle (if ever) but I let out quite the ooooof. He apologized profusely, so it must have sounded bad. I reassured him that I just got the wind knocked out.

I resolved to not play closed guard with Blaine. I was able to leg weave successfully and ended up taking his back at the very end. Had good control of that match.

Shaun and I started off fine, then he jumped to a choke from top half. Hit it FAST and then continued to crank it like his life depended on it. He also jumped into top side control which elicited another ooooooof from me. Clearly he's amping his game for Master Mundials. Ok, fine. We reset and I attacked his guard from top half and didn't give him an inch. Passed and got a solid cross-face.

Another class tonight and then Thu/Fri off to rest for the seminar and probably some comp training on Sunday.

No comments: