Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Weight Class Woes

2/13

No training today. Laryngitis, or something that very closely mimics vocal cord failure. Yesterday I was rockin the sexy sick voice, today I sound like a barely functioning human.

Anyway, I'm checking out some events, trying to figure out how much I want to compete this year. Looking at results from past events, it seems like the 152-163lb weight class is a kindof purgatory for women. Either you're under 152lb or you are way over 163lb. I think that I'll have competitors at my weight class at Pans, but likely all masters and seniors will be combined, if I'm reading the results from last year correctly. Which is fine, as I'm just barely in the Senior 1 category anyway.

But for the smaller tournaments, it makes me consider cutting weight just to be able to be guaranteed a decent number of matches at my level. I'm still loathe to cut, as I worry about the stress of cutting on top of tournament stress. I prefer to go into matches feeling at full strength if possible. I had a clean diet and didn't eat much the day before the last tournament and I think I was at ~154lb (with gi) or thereabouts. So maybe it wouldn't be that big of a deal to get there. I really don't want the added stress though, especially with the potential to be DQ'd if you don't make weight.

Decisions, decisions...

No comments: