Tuesday, February 5, 2013

North/South - Maintaining and Escapes

2/5 - Valley

Just Gary and I, and we went over maintaining N/S and refining escapes. I tried the over/under top position and didn't like it very much. When I'm rolling I feel like I ought to be able to pull off the escapes but people are too good about not letting me get the space to work them. Gary and I did discover that an advantage to fishtailing your legs around to get to half-guard (or even to do the roll-to-the-back) is that if your opponent blocks one side, you have the momentum to go to the other and they probably won't be able to get there fast enough. Will have to try it out during rolls to see how it works.

We rolled for a bit, really good back and forth. I tried to work triangles, arm-bars and omoplatas while he caught me repeatedly with a leg that was way out of position. Fun to roll with him, it's been awhile.

Fun to roll in general. I feel like a lot of pressure is off, and if I get crushed this week it's not going to feel like crushing. At least that's the hope. Just take it as a learning experience, and try to do as much as I can between now and Pan Ams to have a solid game plan and the skills to implement it.

No comments: