Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sweeps

2/12 - Valley

Today we took a break from north/south and worked sweeps instead. I've gained a lot from the focus on n/s, especially during live rolls at the other school. Was nice to look at something else for awhile though.

I noticed this morning that my voice was froggy at work and my throat didn't feel awesome. The situation got worse during warm-ups, but was fine after that. One quick roll with Gary at the end.

Notes of the various sweeps:

1. Double-ankle: Scoot your body under them more if you're too far away and it's not working.

2. Handstand: Keep a hold of the leg that you initially lock onto until you've completed the sweep. It'll keep them from running away from you.

3. Hook Sweep: Get knee high, almost on their shoulder. This will make it more effective than being on their stomach or lower chest. Also remember to pull them into you before scissoring them over.

4. Overhead Sweep: When I was being swept I felt like I was too much on my neck. Might have just been my extra sensitivity b/c of the oncoming cold. Never, ever feel comfortable with this.


No comments: