Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Arm-Wrap

2/20 - Downtown

We worked on submissions from an arm-wrap from guard today. I was really thrown, b/c I did arm-wrap from guard yesterday, but the set-up was totally different. Doesn't take much to rock my world, apparently.

The arm-wrap set-up was to pull your opponent into you using your legs, and with a grip on their R sleeve, pass their arm across your body to your upper R shoulder. Duck your head and L arm under and through, and then arm-wrap their R arm with your L.

From there, we did the choke, then arm-bar (almost a shoulder lock of sorts depending on where your knee is coming down on their arm), then an omoplata variation and finally a straight arm-bar. Lots of options, depending on how they try to defend.

The omoplata variation was assuming you have the wrap and have attempted an arm-bar with your L leg on their arm/shoulder. If they curl their hand around to your thigh, release the lapel grip and use your L hand to slide under their R hand. Bring your R hand over the top of their elbow and gable grip your hands. Pull their elbow toward your head. Nasty little lock. If they try to defend by straightening their arm back out, you should be in a good position for a straight arm-bar.

Speaking of which, I really struggle with those. Primarily b/c a) I can't seem to find their elbow and b) I can't tell which way their arm is rotated even if I do find the elbow. Almost makes me want to take up no gi. Almost.

Good rolls today, but felt like I was just flailing about and making the same mistakes over and over near the end. Had an interesting roll with Saul in which he clearly wanted to work sweeps from open guard. We must have reset close to ten times during the five minute roll, each time with me trying to think of another way to attack his open guard. One thing I never tried was standing up. Rolls with Nando, Antone, Julio, Chris and Saul. That awesome sweep that I hit over and over during drilling yesterday? Not so much today. I mean, not even close. Dudes weren't budging. I really must have been doing something wrong. Back to the drawing board...

Oh, and I registered for Pan Ams today. Kinda excited. :)


No comments: