Friday, February 22, 2013

Turtle Escape to Arm Bar

2/22 - Downtown (Afternoon)

We worked a fair amount on warm-ups, primarily moves that would improve hipping out ability. I thought I'd be good at these, but, no, not so much.

The main technique we focused on was getting to a straight arm-bar from turtle. Opponent is on your L side. Invite them to take your lapel by guarding L side of neck with R hand while L hand is on the mat or in front of you. Idea is to bait them to feed their hand under your L arm and take your R lapel. When they do, reach over the top of their L arm with your L arm, turn to your L side and keep their arm straight out as much as possible. Pin their wrist to your neck, and move your ear toward your shoulder to help keep their wrist locked in. Gable grip above their elbow and arm-bar.

If they roll to get out of the arm-bar, roll with them. You should end up perpendicular to them, with head planted on the mat and feet on other side of their arm. Tops of feet should be pushing into their chest near their arm-pit and on their neck. Get their wrist to your neck and hands gripped together between their elbow and the floor. Pull up for arm-bar.

Rolled with Chris, Julio, Dennis, Daniel and Saul. Good roll with Chris, he got me with a head and arm type choke. My goal when rolling with him is to stay out of bottom side-control. So far pretty unsuccessful. Julio smothered me. I tried to take his back once to no avail. Dennis and I had a pretty good back and forth. I had a triangle set up but couldn't finish (shocker). He got me with something, can't remember what. Saul swept me another dozen times. I wasn't happy with how I did, b/c I did a bunch of dumb things when trying to pass. Meh.

Another class tonight with my new gi. Boom!

No comments: