Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Threaten the Instructor with a Triangle

5/2
Afternoon
Frisbee. Played ok, part of a 4 x 5 team. I was guarding two people, and did ok although I did get burned a couple of times. Sean threw a dynamite pass in the end zone that I had on my fingertips but instead of snatching it out of the air I tried to grab it with my fingertips of both hands. I need to learn to snatch that sucker out of the air. 

I felt like my sprints have improved a bit since last month. I feel like I can get to places a little sooner now. I attribute it to the squats. :)

5/3
BJJ 1.5hrs
Went over more techniques. I'm feeling pretty good about them, but am really appreciating the level detail that we are covering. Last night was the first night in a little while that I've felt like practicing the moves at home in the air (i.e. w/o a partner). It's nice not to be focused on a tournament and to enjoy the techniques for themselves instead of them being a means to an end (if that makes sense).

The best part of class came at the end when we rolled. We have rolled in class for a little while, so I was stoked about that.  Started with Leslie, who I threatened with a triangle but didn't finish. She worked out of the guard and we had a good roll.

I rolled with Mr. T next. I fought and fought for a triangle and had one arm in, one arm out but did not do a good job of moving my hips to lock it up. What a bummer. He tried to stack me, so I rolled us over and he was on his back--for a split second before scrambling into side control. I was briefly terribly exicted that I was about to get top position. I'm bummed that I could keep the triangle, but happy that I rolled to a (briefly) superior position that I should have been able to maintain if I had my wits about me. He kept working some ezekial type choke from my half guard that I fended off for awhile but finally succumbed. Actually, it was some lapel type choke. NO movement from my legs while I was fending that off...really need to get my hips involved when I'm in danger on the bottom.

I was really, really happy with the roll.

No comments: