Saturday, August 1, 2015

Saturday

Fundamentals consisted of maintaining and attacking from back-control. I think this was one of the best classes of I've done, in that I felt very confident with the material and the class was engaged. Bigger class too, around 12 ppl including Rachael. Three or four of those guys are going to be testing for their blues tomorrow, so we'll see who comes to next week's class...

While I was prepping for class, I came across a Mendes video where Rafa explained that having your head next to theirs on the non-choking side and actually tilting your head into the side of their head can help prevent them from both escaping and keep their chin up a bit to allow for chokes. A new nugget that seemed pretty legit.

Apparently the noon class has turned into an open mat, so lots of rolls. Rachael, Russ, Richard (bigger Richard), Joe, Jeremy and can't remember who else. Jeremy got me with a super sneaky toe hold, especially for a white belt. I was on the defensive more than I would have liked in general, but considering how I felt when I woke up, I'll take it. It felt like either one of my ears needed to pop and/or I suddenly went partially deaf on one side. It was messing with my groove a bit, to the point that I wasn't sure that I'd do the noon class. Very strange, but at some point during Fundamentals it cleared up. 

Seven classes this week, including Fundamentals. No advanced class tomorrow due to belt testing, so I'm going to have a much needed day off.

My weight is quite a bit higher than I would like, but I'm not going to concern myself too much with it until I get back from my road trip in a couple of weeks. That'll leave me one full months before Master Worlds to either get lighter for Heavy or go down to Med-Heavy.

No comments: