Tuesday, August 11, 2015

TAKEDOWN

Last week's training was pretty good. Hit seven classes, and although I felt it, I wasn't completely wrecked.

Fundies was a small class, I think five or six. Covered unsexy mount escapes, but I feel like I'm starting to get into a groove as an instructor. 

Sunday didn't start off that great. I went in with a gameplan to drill a takedown, a guard pull defense and lasso/spider pass. Both of the standing techniques were awful. I mean AWFUL. I was doing something really wrong on both of them. Discouraging, b/c it's a little over a month away from Master Worlds. The lasso/spider pass went a bit better, and I got some really good feedback from my drill partners.

First roll was with Jason S., and he quickly and predictably tied me up in knots and I think finished me with an arm-bar.

The next roll however....  I got my first legitimate takedown EVER. It wasn't pretty, but it was what I had been drilling. Russ and I were both shocked. I did well during the rest of the roll, getting good positions and possibly a submission.

Rolled with Shaun and Kelly after that. Nothing especially notable, except Shaun got a quick toe hold but otherwise I did well. Kelly tried some interesting techniques that he later showed at the Monday class. I hadn't seen them before, but I did a good job of staying in not awful positions.

Monday's class was Kelly showing us a number of leg locks that I worry will end up in getting your back taken more often than not.

Traveling this week, hoping to be able to drop in at least one day while I'm gone.

2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

Congrats on the takedown.

I am curious to know what qualifies as a "sexy" mount escape. Or don't I want to know?

Relax On The Mat said...

I think the bridge to butterfly guard might be considered a sexy mount escape. I try to lower expectations with my Fundies class by telling them that a bunch of things went wrong for them to be in a crappy position in the first place, so they should expect a certain amount of suffering to get out of it (i.e. unsexy).