Monday, August 3, 2015

On the Other Side of Privates

Double class today. The morning class was packed and HOT. Somewhere around 26 people and 90F in the gym. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaayum. 

Covered chokes starting from N/S. Breadcutter, far-side kimura by laying your hip on them instead of pulling them on their side, and a shoulder lock and kimura on the near side. Rolled with Anjela and can't remember who else. 

Night class technique was the same thing, with the addition of the traditional N/S choke from Jamie. Rolled with Rachael the entire time. I feel like she had the better of the rolls the past couple of times, but today was my day. She caught me with a toe hold early when I tried to bolo. After that, I had back-mount and got a bow and arrow and from then on I had most of the dominant positions. She had some great reversals and was able to escape my back-mount several times. I think I was able to stay out of bottom side most if not all of the roll.

Before night class, one of the newer guys asked me if I'd give him a private lesson. I was stunned. Totally caught off guard, I told him to ask James how that would work. I don't know what James wants purple belts to charge, what percentage if any he takes, etc. Also, I assume he'd be ok with me giving private lessons... Holy cow. I sortof came around to the idea that I was good enough to teach group classes, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that someone would trust my teaching enough to want a private lesson. Totally made my day.

After class Sarah came by and we rolled for probably another 20+min. Got in some wacky positions as per usual. She got an arm-bar and was close on both a choke from top half and an omoplata. 

No comments: