Monday, December 28, 2015

Open Mat

Had some time off for the holidays, which was a nice break. I kept up with lifting and went for a 3.5mile snow hike. The hiking trail was more or less packed down. I set out at one point for an extended hoof through close to two feet of snow. During one of the lifts I did some core conditioning (evil wheels) that wrecked my abs. I didn't realize this until I went to the open mat today and tried to do various movements that required contracting my ab muscles. 

Jason S. and I drilled for the first part and then I rolled with him, Julio, Crystal, Nicole, Jeremy and probably a couple more. Took me awhile to get in the groove. Drilling the RDLR to waiter sweep to leg drag resulted in mixed success. The second part of the sweep is feeling good. Getting their weight forward to get underneath still feels super weird and I'm not doing it very well. Jason gave me some good tips. I think I'm going to have to get Plans B & C figured out if I only get them forward halfway or if they base out to the side.

Good rolls. I wiggled out of Jason's back-control and right into a triangle. I fought it off as long as I could but once he gets the legs locked it's pretty much curtains. Jeremy just laughs at me (not out loud) when I try to kimura or americana him. I am not alone in my frustration/amazement when that happens, as the exact same thing happened to Zack.

Hoping to get to an open mat on Wednesday, but there's going to be a ton of college football bowl games on in the next week. It's my last fix before next September so I'm a bit loathe to give it up.

No comments: