Friday, August 19, 2016

Back in Place

I had been feeling good about jiu jitsu the past couple of classes. My techniques was ok, the conditioning and lifting that I'm doing outside of class was noticeable, all was well. 

Then I get some rolls in today and I'm back in the dumps. I set myself up with high expectations ("I magically got better!") and reality came crashing down in the form of getting manhandled by both Jasons today and a sub-par roll with James on Wed. Had a better than expected no gi roll with Keith today. Got taken down hard by suicide throws a couple of times by Rachael but otherwise I did well with her.

So not to rehash the same old crap, but I'm at a loss as to how I can get the logical part of my brain ("of course you must be making progress if you're going to class consistently") take precedence over the emotional part ("swear to whatever gods that i've made zero progress in the past six months and haven't learned a damned thing"). I have got to find a way to figure this out, because the shitty feeling that I have after most classes is again making me think about quitting. I refuse to put time into something, not improve AND feel like shit about it.




2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

BJJ is not a steady, solid line of upward progression. It's the EKG of a seizing, dying cardiac patient. If you have a great night, sure as shit the next night will see you beaten down by every white belt in the room. And it's always going to be an EKG, no matter how long you do it or how good you get. Embrace the EKG. ;)

Relax On The Mat said...

That analogy is hilarious and perfect. :)