Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Kids!

Had to take last week off because my body was super duper unhappy in a most unpleasant way. It resolved itself so that I could finally go about my business again. 

Sticking with at least one night class a week to help Rachael prep for Masters.

First class last night in over a week and it felt like I had been off the mat for a month. It was well over 90F and fortunately we didn't do a killer warm-up. Transitions through a variety of top positions, which was a great drill to get started. My transitions are not great.

Technique was submissions that start from back control and rely on a kimura grip. Felt pretty good with those, although I was reminded that I'm still pretty crap at breaking arm-bar defenses. Also, my transitions to kimuras in top side are not great.

Rolled with Rachael throughout, I think we did four rounds. I felt strong and in control of most of the rolls. Even when I was in a traditionally bad position for me (being knee cut passed) I felt good. I gave up one pass. I took the back and passed consistently. A week off was apparently a good thing. I'm definitely noticing an increase in my confidence with regards to what I feel my body is capable of since I've been lifting for close to 3 months. Very, very happy with that.

Before class, James asked me if I would cover kids classes while he was at Masters. Uhm..... I told him I'd come to the classes on Wed and see what it was like. Children are aliens that I don't understand and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. I think the older kids class would probably be ok, but I have some trepidation about the younger kids class. 

Speaking of kids, the private with one of the kids hasn't materialized, which I guessed might happen but I'm not too down about it.




No comments: