Thursday, June 23, 2016

Privates

Forgot to include a snippet about my first private lesson as a teacher. Happened completely by accident. I was working out after class last Friday. Everyone else had left, and then one of my teammates walked in b/c he had a lesson scheduled with another coach. The other coach didn't show up so my teammate asked if I would give him a lesson. That's how I ended up teaching my first private lesson. I heard James comment to the guy yesterday on how well he was executing the back-step from half guard, which is one of the areas we covered during the lesson. Sooooo... he asked me to do another lesson with him tomorrow. :)

My rolls yesterday were not so great. I felt like the guys were just toying with me and I got submitted more than usual. I had Jason S and Nate to back-to-back which is a tough row to hoe. Nate's side-control maintenance has become very good. It seems like he efforts very little to keep you in place and he capitalizes quickly and efficiently on when you move to escape. I became quite frustrated, made a mistake and he got an arm-bar. I was upset with myself after that roll but got over it when I saw Nate controlling Jason. I wasn't so much upset about the submission as my utter lack of ability to a) prevent the pass and b) escape side-control.

Tonight I'm teaching passing, but haven't figured out exactly what yet. 

No comments: